Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Inquisitive kid


I love kids, particularly the chubby and inquisitive ones who never sit idle and are always on their toes! May be I empathize with them as I myself have been a hyper active and a hell raiser child by nature when I was young J. Off late, I have been fascinated by this curious adorable 6 yr old kid in my building who often meets me at the elevator on his way to school and back or while playing around in the evening.

This child is super cute and a full time entertainment channel to indulge in. He always has some questions that can kindle your imagination and that’s why I call him ‘Mr. Question Bank’. Some of his intrepid questions  are:  “Rashi di, why can’t I (the kid) be seen in any of mom-dad’s wedding pictures? Did they forget to carry me along them?”.... “Is the sky blue or water, i.e., is the color of blue sky reflected on water or color of blue water on the plain sky?” His latest one to me was whether I will marry him if I found no one good enough for me?!  So by now you must have realized that he is a clever chap J. These days he has become a very good and reliable comrade and I share many things with him knowing well that he understand very little or nil of what I am talking! J

Last Saturday afternoon I was sitting in the apartment garden observing him play and sketch on his new drawing board which he had got as his birthday present. He was trying to scribble some human figures on them, resembling his mom, dad and younger sibling, but he would never be content with any of his drawings. He would pick up the eraser, rub them, correct them, re-do them and so on. Then after toiling for some time he looked intrigued and tired, kept his board aside and walked towards me with his volley of innocent queries. He asked me “What is it that keeps the whole world going constantly while I get tired and relent in a few hours?...(he continued)…“How is it that the sun never gets tired of rising in the morning and setting in the evening sky every  day, how do stars never get exhausted twinkling? How does the cock never forget to crow at the break of the dawn, while we need to set alarm clocks to wake that early? How do birds chirp every morning without fail?”  

I got a hint where this conversation was going but I kept mum wanting to hear him say more. He went on.  “How does the Gulmohar tree in front of my window bloom at the same time every year? How do we get rainfall showers in the same months each year? Also why can’t I get to eat mangoes all the year round and only in summer?..(pausing briefly to think).. Who plans all this? Is it all natural or God designed? If it is designed by God then how does he single handedly manage all the activities? Or does he have helpers to help him too?..(using his hand gestures to explain)… I can get tired of making this simple drawing, sit idle, not complete my homework, not study for exams, but how is it that the sun, moon, stars, birds,  seasons, trees, ‘Not’ get tired and work relentlessly? Tell me How?”...He paused after this. Turned around and looked at me who was quite dumb struck by his questions and was as much in a state of bewilderment as he himself was! He smiled and sat beside me in hope of getting his queries answered. As he sat near me, I gathered myself starting to ponder on how to answer his bountiful doubts and that too with as much ease as possible!

I smiled back fondly at him and began “U know dear, there is a law of nature for all the things you just talked about. The sun, stars, seasons, trees, birds, all obey these laws, just like we obey the laws or rules set by our parents at home? ….And regarding who sets these laws, it is but GOD who designs everything. He has made a rule for all the things around us so that they help us to do our daily chores and functions smoothly. He has made rules for the sun to rise and set at a particular time so that we know when to go to work and when to come back and relax, a similar rule for the birds to chirp and cock to crow at a certain time to help us get up on time…(continuing)… God has also instructed the Gulmohar tree and other flowering plants to blossom when he thinks is right and has planned a time for the arrival of the monsoon showers to help farmers sow seeds and grow crops to feed us. All the things which happen around us are for a reason and they follow a certain plan. The sun, stars, seasons and rain might also feel tired of their duties but they don’t give up or procrastinate for they know that their work is helping others to discharge their duties properly. …(pausing)…Similarly, we also have a purpose to fulfill in our lives and for that we need to put in hard work and determination as in the long run even our work will impact the lives of others.So next time when your mom wakes you up early in the morning for school or reminds you to do your homework on time, do it without giving her any trouble, because it is her duty to take care of you and groom you to be a responsible man. …(now gazing at him and asking)…Did you get that? And if so tell me, what is your duty in return?”.... I stopped my conversation and gazed at the boy. He was sitting with his eyes wide open diligently listening to what I said. He took some time to realize that I had finished, then looking at me with his big inquisitive eyes said “OK. So we All (stressing on ‘All’) have got a life for some purpose, I am sure I have a purpose too…(thinking briefly).. I promise to follows all the instructions which mom has for me from now on so that I can grow up to become a good human being and help other people to get what they want in their life, is that right, Rashi Di?" (looking at me for affirmation). I grinned at him and nodded. 

 I knew he had got his answers. He then got up and picked up his drawing board, color pencils and walked towards home, waving back happily at me. After this conversation, I was not sure who looked much calmer and at peace with oneself, he or me?  May be I need more such young little friends to understand the purpose of my life? 

2 comments:

SV 2021 said...

Interesting kid. Truly child is the father of man. But why are you teaching him all wrong things? :P Tell him there is a science behind all this and to learn those he needs to grow up fast. :D

Rashi Bhushan said...

@Shubham- Hello! How are u and Nishtha doing? Heard u guys are coming to India in October?..let me know your plans!!

And regarding this story, some things are beyond the explanation of science and logic I guess and I am happy to think of it that way :). The kid will grow up to be a good person if we teach him things this way :P